Thursday, February 1, 2007

Molly Ivins

Edit: Jim Hightower on Molly Ivins:
Damn, I thought, no human can write like that! She could knock you over and lift you up in the same sentence. It was her spirit coming at you.

I learned this morning that Molly Ivins has died. I started reading her columns when I was working on environmental issues in Texas, a time when her humor and inspiration were greatly appreciated. She made me proud to be a liberal in Texas. My natural tendency often is to be frustrated with the state of the world, with our lack of true democracy, war, poverty etc. Molly Ivins was a person who knew to keep fighting, you have to be able to laugh.
"... keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."
Read more about Molly Ivins here.

No comments: